Thursday, July 28, 2011

Comic-Con 2011: LOST Deleted Scene: Time to Laugh or Too Soon?


COMIC-CON 2011:

LOST Deleted Scenes:
Time to Laugh or Too Soon?

By Tom Ruff
July 28, 2011

If there is anyone out there who still remembers a little show called LOST, that ended with one of the most controversial endings ever last year, this past weekend the creators of the show brought a never before seen "deleted scene" to Comic-Con. This "deleted scene" was actually a tongue-in-cheek clip compiled of footage from the season one finale, and new footage shot with Mark Pellegrino and Titus Welliver (Jacob and "The Man In Black"). In the clip, Locke and Jack are debating the idea of destiny as the prepare to enter what would become the Swan hatch for the first time, as Jacob and MiB watch from the bushes and discuss what the Lostaways will encounter throughout the remainder of the series, including the button, time travel, the candidates, the death of Locke, the light of the island, and that "cork metaphor".

I recently watched the entire series again in its entirety, and while I may be in the minority I still stand by it as one of the best TV series ever. I also stand by my great appreciation for the show's finale. They tied up the story lines of the series' characters, and they left you with some questions to discuss afterwards. At the end of the day what always made LOST so great for me was the discussion about the mystery that viewers could have with each other. Answers were nice when they came, but nobody was ever going to be happy, and trying to figure out what it all meant made the show much more interesting then actually finding out. I liked the fact that answers always led to more questions, and I liked trying to decipher what it all meant, even if 9 out of 10 times I was wrong. It doesn't matter to me if they had a plan all along, or made it up from season to season, because it doesn't change the way I enjoyed the show. At the end of the day the best fiction to me is that which makes you think, and LOST always made you think.

If you weren't happy with the ending I suggest giving the series as a whole another shot. When you watch it again knowing the ending, the pieces really fit together. If you haven't seen the show before and are considering it, go in with an open mind.

Seeing this clip, shows me three things... A) that Damon and Carlton stand by their product; that they aren't making apologies for how the series ended... B) that they have a great sense of humor when it comes to how other people reacted... and C) that even after a year this tiny little "joke clip" can still make me want to talk about this show, and for that I say Thank You... oh, and I liked the cork metaphor...

Check it out... what do you think?


No comments:

Post a Comment